Thursday, February 9, 2012

My baby's special heart.

For those of you who don't know, my oldest son, Khalil was born in 2005 with a Congenital Heart Defect.
He was diagnosed in-utero with Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF), when I was about 24 weeks along in my pregnancy with him.
TOF is also known as 'blue baby' syndrome and is 4 separate defects of the heart.
To date, he has had 2 open heart surgeries, 2 cardiac catheterizations, several echo cardiograms/ekg's and treatments to relieve a pseudo aneurysm that he developed after his 2nd open heart surgery.
The surgeries and caths were all performed before he was 7 months old, and he now goes to his cardiologist annually for echo cardiograms/ekgs.

We are awaiting his 3rd (and GOD WILLING, final) open heart surgery to replace his Pulmonary Valve. His cardiologist is thinking it may be in about 3-4 years.
Aside from all of the above, Khalil is a perfectly healthy 6 year old who loves life!

So, after a lot of thought, I have decided to post this video that I made a few years ago, but with a lot of reservation, because the pictures in this video are extremely personal to me and I rarely ever show them to people, let alone look at them myself. They are very painful to look back on, but also bring so much gratitude and thankfulness that my little guy made it through those rough days. It's a good reminder of how precious life is, and sometimes even though it's hard or too painful to remember, it's better to look back and be humbled and thankful.

So please, watch the video and then help spread CHD awareness to others by going out in your community and telling someone you know just how common CHD's are, and how much more research and funding is needed to help these kids out!

(Please, please, please do not share this video! That is how horrible internet/Facebook hoaxes get started, and I really do not want that happening with my son! Thank you!)





No comments: